Here Are the 10 Best Treatments for an Irritation-Free Scalp
We spend a lot of time and effort to get our best hair. For many people, their locks are the “mane” attraction. But you can’t have a glorious head of hair without a healthy scalp. Without it, your hair will be anything from limp and greasy to dry and prone to breakage.
Thankfully, beauty companies are starting to recognize your scalp’s role in hair growth and now create targeted scalp care products to treat everything from itch and dryness to excess oil production, dandruff, and hair thinning.
If you’re unsure what’s going on with your scalp, consult a board-certified dermatologist or trichologist (hair doctor) to get to the root of the problem. You may have an underlying condition such as psoriasis, eczema, or seborrheic dermatitis that requires a prescription-strength treatment.
Once you’re assured nothing requires extra-special attention, your next move is to find the best scalp treatment for your hair-care concerns. There are products for strengthening, reducing irritation, flaking, and product buildup, and simply improving overall scalp health. If you aren’t sure where to start, here are 10 of our favorites for inspiration, available on Flip.
Dry scalp troubles? You’ll love this leave-in scalp moisturizer that delivers instant hydration and lasting relief from an itchy, dry, irritated, and flaky head. The hyaluronic acid soothes irritation, while a vitamin B3-based microbiome complex helps rebalance your hair’s natural ecosystem to provide long-lasting itch relief.
Much like the pores on your face, your scalp gets congested, too. Pacifica’s Rosemary Apple Cider Scalp Detox Tonic removes dirt, buildup, and oil. This product delivers the same powerhouse ingredients like AHA, BHA, niacinamide, and glycolic acid as your favorite skincare products. It’s ideal for irritated scalps but benefits all hair types by loosening, exfoliating, and washing away dead skin cells and debris that clog hair follicles.
This clarifying shampoo refreshes the scalp while deep cleaning hair to keep it bouncy and gleaming. Formulated with crisp peppermint oil and 16 plant extracts, Philip B.'s Peppermint Avocado Shampoo gets your hair super-clean without stripping away all the hair oils needed to keep locks soft and manageable. The peppermint oil stimulates circulation and leaves troubled scalps feeling refreshed.
Say goodbye to buildup with this easy-to-use scrub that cleanses and calms itchy scalps. Fine sugar crystals gently exfoliate, while tea tree oil nourishes and purifies skin. Sage oil rebalances, witch hazel soothes, and apple cider vinegar removes buildup and reduces flaking. Create a light lather with this gentle scrub once or twice a week before shampooing.
They say losing 50–100 strands of hair every day is normal. This is a preventative measure to safeguard your hair if you lose more. Lumin's Keratin Recovery Shampoo with green tea nourishes the scalp and gives every last strand a solid foundation. Tea tree oil balances the scalp's oil production, reducing buildup from sebum and styling products and preventing breakouts while soothing dry, irritated skin. Ceramide moisturizes and strengthens the skin's protective layer to lock in hydration and reduce everyday damage.
This is a gentle foaming sugar scrub with probiotic-rich sake water. It gently removes product buildup and environmental impurities, revealing a healthy scalp and strong, gleaming hair. Use this hair treatment once a week instead of shampoo for best results.
Need a shampoo that works equally well as an oily or dry scalp treatment? Look no further than Yes To’s Tea Tree Scalp Relief Shampoo. This calming shampoo is pH-balanced and formulated with tea tree oil, sage oil, and salicylic acid. The formula addresses oily scalp issues but works equally well to keep other hair and scalp types hydrated. This calming shampoo nourishes hair, soothes irritation, and is safe for color-treated locks.
So many things can cause hair thinning, including stress, diet, pregnancy, medication, and environmental stressors. This botanical, drug-free formula slows down temporary hair loss and supports the scalp's natural microcirculation to create an optimal environment for new hair growth. Phytocyane’s revitalizing serum is enriched with sulfured amino acids, vitamins, and proteins to promote healthy hair growth at the roots. Each single dose application supports keratin production for fuller, thicker, and more lustrous hair.
Soothing scalp relief is just a wash away with this formula that cleanses the scalp and removes buildup, dead skin, and excess oils, leaving your scalp feeling healthy and soothed. It’s formulated with tea tree oil to nourish and cleanse, sage oil for balance, witch hazel to soothe, and apple cider vinegar to clarify and remove buildup. The easy-to-use applicator helps massage the gel formula directly onto your scalp before shampooing. For optimal results, use 1–3 times per week.
SUPA_THICK is a topical scalp serum designed to reduce hair shedding, building thicker hair with more body. The formula uses patented probiotic technology to minimize dandruff and visibly improve scalp dryness while removing product buildup to leave roots feeling refreshed, calm, and nourished. Get visibly thicker hair and a healthy scalp by using this treatment 2–3 times a week.
Which scalp treatment is best?
The best scalp treatment for you will depend on your hair care needs. A product for dry scalp won’t help you deal with dandruff issues. We recommend assessing what you’d like to get out of a scalp treatment before shopping.
- Dryness: Search for a formula that incorporates an oil, like coconut oil, into an oil-in-water emulsion. That way, you’re adding moisture to your skin (water) and keeping it in place with a protective barrier (oil). Using pure oil on your scalp will weigh down your roots and reduce hair volume.
- Sensitivity: Look for a daily scalp toner containing soothing, anti-inflammatory ingredients like sodium salicylate combined with peppermint, spearmint, and tea tree oils to reduce irritation and witch hazel, hyaluronic acid, and aloe vera for a soothing and rebalancing effect.
- Oil production: While it can be annoying, an oily scalp benefits your hair, keeping it soft and manageable. If it gets to be too much, look for a gentle treatment that doesn’t strip your hair of its natural oils. A formula with nourishing ingredients that reduce sebum, like argan oil, basil, lemon, rosemary essential oils, and vitamin B5 should help.
- Flakiness: The best way to deal with dandruff is to get into a routine. Consistently using an anti-dandruff shampoo and a scalp treatment with active antimicrobial ingredients will help reduce flakes and itchiness.
- General issues: Products like dry shampoo and hair gel build up over time and clog your scalp’s pores. To alleviate this, use an exfoliating scalp mask. Choose a product that uses natural exfoliants like sea salt or ground seeds that are better for the environment. If your scalp needs a deep clean, use a silicone scalp massager to get the job done gently and effectively.
How can I make my scalp healthy again?
The first step toward a healthy scalp is a wellness routine that includes hair care products suited to your hair and scalp type, eating right, getting enough sleep, and avoiding cigarettes and alcohol. If you still have scalp issues, consider consulting a board-certified dermatologist. They can help diagnose any underlying conditions that keep you from having the hair you want.
What is a professional scalp treatment?
Going to the salon for a professional scalp treatment is an excellent option for anyone struggling with hair issues. Every organization is different, but a salon treatment generally includes the following:
- A soothing massage to stimulate hair growth
- Exfoliation to unclog hair follicles
- A leave-in conditioning treatment to soften skin and soothe irritation
Depending on your needs, other services include laser treatments, microneedling, or low-level light therapy.
If you’re still unsure where to begin your hair improvement journey, check in with the friendly Flip community. Every day, people like you post real-time reviews of their favorite hair care and beauty products — learn from their experiences and feel confident about your next purchase.