The Ultimate Guide to Clearing Acne Everywhere
Have you ever been surprised by a pimple popping up in some odd place, like the back of your hand? While it may seem strange and stressful, pimples can occur almost anywhere on your body. Body acne is common and nothing to be embarrassed about (who hasn’t had a back pimple at some point?), but luckily you’re also not stuck with it forever. Keep reading to discover how to get rid of body acne.
What causes acne
Acne results when your skin’s natural oil (called sebum), dead skin cells, and debris clog your hair follicle. Clogged pores are called comedones, but they’re better known as blackheads and whiteheads.
If bacteria enters the equation, the pore becomes inflamed and turns into the red, raised bump we call a pimple. There are many reasons this process happens, and it’s sometimes several of these reasons at once.
- Genetics: Genetics play a significant role in causing acne — some people are just more prone to pimples.
- Hormones: A hormonal change often causes acne. This side-effect is especially common around menstrual cycles.
- Stress: Stress doesn’t necessarily cause acne, but it can worsen existing breakouts, making it challenging to clear your skin.
- Medication: Some medications cause acne. If you think medication is the culprit, talk to your doctor about other options.
- Sports equipment: Body acne is sometimes caused by athletic equipment or clothing rubbing against your skin and trapping sweat and oil.
- Hygiene: Like workout clothing trapping sweat, dirty towels, pillowcases, or clothes can lead to clogged pores.
How to treat body acne
Body acne isn’t permanent. With the proper skincare routine and products, you’ll say goodbye to your pesky blemishes in no time. Here are the first steps we recommend taking.
- Say no to pimple popping. We know how tempting it is to squeeze a blemish, but this only worsens it. Popping your pimples prolongs the healing process and can cause acne scars. If you think a pimple needs to be popped, like a stubborn whitehead, have a dermatologist remove it to avoid infection.
- Shower regularly. After a sweaty workout, take a relaxing shower to scrub your skin and wash away any pore-clogging dirt.
- Exfoliate. Pimples occur when dead skin cells and debris build up, and exfoliation helps clear this out of your pores. You don’t need to exfoliate daily. Instead, try once or twice a week. We recommend Necessaire The Body Exfoliator to pamper and cleanse your skin.
- Moisturize. Regularly apply a non-comedogenic and oil-free moisturizer. If your skin’s dry, your body will naturally produce more pore-clogging oil. Dry skin also easily becomes irritated, which could lead to more breakouts. We love the Groomed Man Co’s Citrus Blast Body Moisturizer.
- Wear loose-fitting clothes. Tight clothing can rub and irritate your skin, causing a type of acne called acne mechanica. This acne is common in athletes from sports equipment that rubs the skin. Wear loose, breathable fabrics, especially in areas where you notice breakouts, to give your skin breathing room.
- Use acne-fighting ingredients. Just like your face, acne treatments work on body pimples. Salicylic acid and benzoyl peroxide are two common acne-fighting ingredients in over-the-counter products. Salicylic acid exfoliates your skin to remove dead skin cells and keep your pores clear. Benzoyl peroxide fights bacteria that cause acne, but it may cause dryness, so only use it as a spot treatment for inflamed pimples. Salicylic acid and benzoyl peroxide are found in body washes as well as topical gels or creams.
- Use sunscreen. Sunscreen is always recommended by dermatologists as a daily-use product for a reason. SPF is crucial to protect your skin from sun damage (which can cause acne). We recommend a moisturizer with SPF in it, as dry and irritated skin often leads to breakouts. Try EVERYDAY HUMANS Oh My Bod! SPF50 Body Sunscreen for lightweight protection.
- Wash fabrics regularly. Your clothes, sheets, and towels all carry oils and debris that clog your pores. Clean them regularly and you’ll likely notice an improvement in your skin immediately.
How to get rid of body acne overnight
Acne takes time to heal, but overnight treatments may speed up the process. Green tea helps reduce blemish inflammation, and you probably already have some in your kitchen. Another approachable solution is to place a cold compress on your pimple at night if it’s inflamed and tender.
A pimple patch is the ultimate overnight treatment for your blemishes. All you have to do is apply it to your spot and remove it in the morning to reduce inflammation and redness. We love the COSRX Acne Pimple Master Patch because it helps protect your pimple from accidentally popping while you sleep.
People also ask
Is body acne the same as facial acne?
The acne you experience on your face can happen anywhere on your body. One thing worth noting, though, is that your body acne might be caused by a different factor than your face acne. While hormones are a likely cause of both, things like chafing or dirty sports equipment are more likely causes of body acne rather than face acne.
How do you get rid of body acne naturally?
Tea tree oil is a natural remedy that may help soothe your acne, and green tea eases inflammation. Body acne breakouts are often caused by dirty clothes, towels, or sheets, so wash your clothes regularly to stop the build-up of oil and dead skin cells.
You’re not stuck with body acne forever. Acne is very treatable with the right products and care. Once you identify a potential cause, treating body acne with the right skincare products and routine is a simple and effective solution.
Acne is the most common skin condition in the United States, affecting 50 million people every year. If you notice body acne, don’t worry — you’re not alone. Acne is very treatable, and you’ll enjoy significantly improved skin with just a little TLC.
To find the right products for your skin type, search Flip for acne treatments and first-hand reviews. Chances are you’ll find a creator also experiencing body acne — learn from their trial and error and feel great about your purchase.