Say Goodbye to Pimples Fast With These Skincare Tips
Pimples tend to pop up at the worst times, like before a date, your first day at a new job, or a party you’ve been looking forward to for weeks. But don’t worry — there are ways to turn an angry red pimple into a barely noticeable blemish overnight. Keep reading for our guide on how to get rid of pimples overnight.
What causes pimples?
A pimple happens when excess oil, dirt, bacteria, and dead skin cells clog your pore. Several factors, often acting in tandem, usually start the process that leads to a blemish.
- Hormones. A change in hormone levels can lead to acne breakouts. This is particularly true around peoples’ menstrual cycles.
- Genetics. Acne-prone skin is often inherited.
- Stress. Stress isn’t an initial cause of your blemishes, but it can worsen existing breakouts.
- Oils or pore-clogging ingredients. Skincare products that use oil-based or comedogenic ingredients may clog your pores.
- Diet. Diet has been linked to acne breakouts.
- Medication. Prescription medication might be the source of unexpected pimples.
How to remove pimples overnight
Pimples take time to heal, so your spot may not completely disappear overnight, but these methods will help to significantly reduce inflammation and redness and make the pimple less noticeable.
While there are many easily accessible methods for reducing your pimple’s appearance, there are just as many over-the-counter acne products available to help you wake up pimple-free. Here are some of our preferred options.
- Benzoyl peroxide fights the acne-causing bacteria behind your pimple’s inflammation. Use benzoyl peroxide as a spot treatment to reduce inflammation overnight.
- Salicylic acid helps exfoliate your skin and keeps your pores clear of debris. Use a face cleanser with salicylic acid at night and enjoy clearer skin by morning.
- Retinoids are a very effective acne treatment because they help unclog pores and rejuvenate skin. Apply a retinol cream or gel at night to help clear your skin as you sleep.
- Hydrocortisone is an anti-inflammatory treatment that may relieve your pimple’s swelling. One study found that combining benzoyl peroxide with hydrocortisone was more effective in calming acne than just benzoyl peroxide.
- Pimple patches work wonders overnight to reduce inflammation and redness. These patches also protect your skin while you sleep. Our favorite? The COSRX Acne Pimple Master Patch.
- Cortisone shots are a powerful treatment to quickly reduce the swelling of a cyst. Speak to your dermatologist about this option.
If you don’t have time to grab an acne-specific product or you’re fresh out of your tried and true, here are a few DIY options.
- Ice: A cold compress helps reduce the swelling of an inflamed, tender pimple.
- Green tea: This is an overnight pimple remedy you probably already have in your kitchen. Green tea has anti-inflammatory properties that help reduce swelling.
- Tea tree oil: Tea tree oil is used in many natural remedies because it’s believed to have antibacterial properties that relieve acne.
- Honey: Using honey overnight for pimples is a fantastic and accessible remedy. Honey has antimicrobial properties that aid in wound healing, plus the honey creates a barrier to keep your skin from getting worse overnight.
- Aloe vera: Aloe works on more than just sunburns. Research suggests aloe vera helps heal acne, so break out your summertime aloe and apply it to your blemish before bed.
How to cover up a pimple
While overnight treatments drastically help weaken the appearance of your pimple, there will most likely still be a minor blemish the next day. But with the right makeup, it’ll look like the pimple never existed.
First, start with a full coverage foundation. This will help cover any blemishes and spots on your face. We love Yensa’s Super Serum Silk Foundation because it’s packed with nourishing ingredients like vitamin C and E and provides full coverage.
Then, apply concealer and blend it evenly. We recommend e.l.f.’s Hydrating Camo Concealer for its creamy texture and expansive shade range.
How to prevent pimples
While improving the appearance of a blemish is helpful, preventing pimples altogether is the best approach. Here are a few tips to keep pimples away:
- Avoid touching your face. Your hands often have oil, bacteria, and debris on them. If this transfers to your face, you’ll likely break out. On this note, if there’s any makeup you apply directly with your hands, always wash them before application.
- Remove your makeup. Before bed, thoroughly remove all makeup to avoid clogging your pores.
- Use a gentle cleanser. Cleanse your face with your favorite face wash morning and night to keep your skin clean. If you’ve got sensitive or dry skin, skip the cleanser in the mornings and simply wash with warm water.
- Use the right makeup. You can still wear makeup and prevent pimples — you just need to use the right products for your skin type. For example, oily skin will benefit from oil-free products, and dry skin needs hydrating products.
A thoughtful skincare routine
The right skincare products will make or break how often you get blemishes. Here are a few of our favorite skincare brands for reducing breakouts.
- Herbivore creates plant-based skincare products with clinical trials to back them up. We love the Herbivore Pink Cloud Cream Jelly Cleanser to use as a daily cleanser.
- Embryolisse is a French skincare brand that has created high-quality products for 70 years. We love the Embryoderme Creme because it’s ultra-rich and moisturizes even the driest skin.
- Nuxe is a luxury beauty brand whose products embrace natural ingredients to help you get your healthiest skin. The Reve De Miel Rich Cleansing Gel is made with honey and is ideal for sensitive skin.
People also ask
How long does it take for a pimple to heal?
A pimple usually lasts 3-7 days, although this doesn’t mean you can’t get the inflammation and redness to subside significantly overnight with the proper treatment.
When should you pop a pimple?
We recommend you leave the pimple popping to the experts. Popping often leads to scarring and could just lead to more pimples. If you have a whitehead you can’t help but squeeze, try a pimple patch first to avoid damaging your skin.
How can I remove pimples naturally and permanently in one day at home?
If you prefer to use natural ingredients on your skin, we recommend trying several treatments straight from Mother Nature. Tea tree oil, green tea, and honey can all be used as natural remedies for pimples. Try a spot test on your skin before applying an at-home treatment to ensure it doesn’t irritate your skin.
Pimple breakouts are nearly universal, so there’s nothing to be embarrassed about if a pimple forms at a bad time. While you might not be able to zap your zit immediately, you can improve the appearance of your spot overnight. Then dab a little makeup on the remaining blemish and poof! Your pimple is gone.
If you’re unsure which product will work best for your skin, check out reviews on Flip to learn from our community’s experience. Follow your favorite creator’s skin journey and enjoy the tips and tricks they provide for mitigating breakouts.