Get Long, Full Lashes with Just a Few Swipes
Long, voluminous lashes draw attention to the eyes and round out a makeup look. But let’s be real — most of us were not blessed with fluttery, full lashes at birth.
It’s no wonder mascara is a go-to product for so many people. With a couple swipes of your favorite mascara, you’ve got longer, fuller lashes — and any makeup look feels complete.
But what does mascara do, really? Well, it’s not magic. Mascaras coat your lashes in a substance that’s slightly darker than your natural lash color. The product builds on itself as you swipe, extending the length of the hairs. While most people use black or brown mascara, it also comes in fun colors like white and blue.
Whether you’re a mascara beginner or just trying out a new product, this step-by-step guide outlines how to apply mascara for flawless lashes.
Choosing your product
Finding the right product depends on the type of mascara you want. Here are the four main kinds:
- Volumizing mascara is best for sparse lashes as it’s designed to fill out the lash line.
- Waterproof mascara is ideal for all-day coverage. If you’re constantly battling smudging and running product, waterproof mascara is best.
- Lengthening mascara is perfect for those with short lashes. Save yourself a trip to the salon for lash extensions by using a product designed to lengthen.
- Keratin-based mascara repairs damaged lashes, which is great for those who don’t want to take a makeup break while their lashes heal.
How to apply mascara for beginners
Follow these seven steps and you’re sure to nail mascara application on your first try:
- Begin with a clean base, removing any makeup.
- Curl your lashes with an eyelash curler, starting as close to the lash line as possible and holding for a few seconds.
- Prime your lashes so your mascara lasts longer and looks its best. We love LASHFOOD’s Conditioning Collagen Lash Primer because it hydrates and promotes hair growth.
- Wipe off excess product from the mascara wand by wiping it on the edge of the tube.
- Apply to your upper lashes, sitting the brush close to the base of your lashes and slowly blinking so the product distributes to the end. This ensures the brush stays in one place, so you don’t swipe upward and get product on your skin or brows.
- Apply to the lower lashes, starting at the lash line and making a small stroke to the end of the lashes. Some people prefer to leave their bottom lashes bare. Try both and choose the look that best suits you, or change it up depending on your makeup.
- Repeat and correct, applying coats of mascara until you’re happy with the look and using a Q-tip to remove any outlying product.
Mascara application tips
Here are a few hacks for creating flawless lashes:
- Use translucent powder between coats. Using a small brush, place the powder on your lashes to make them appear thicker.
- Coat both sides of your lashes. Apply a coat of mascara to the top of your upper lashes to help them hold their curl throughout the day.
- Apply coats while still fresh. Don’t let your mascara dry before applying the next coat.
- Wait for clumps to dry before removing them. Clumps happen. Easily remove them when dry with a lash brush or tweezer.
- Don’t use expired mascara. Expired mascara is dry, clumpy, and has a greater chance of causing an eye infection.
People also ask
How long does mascara last?
A tube of mascara lasts 3–6 months. You’ll know it’s expired if it’s dry, very clumpy, and the smell has changed.
Even if you haven’t finished the product, it’s essential to discard it after six months. Not only will the product look bad on your lashes, but it can dry the hairs out and cause infection. Your eyes are sensitive, so it’s best to take precautions and start fresh every six months.
What are the best mascaras?
Here are six of our favorite products to get you started on the right foot:
- Too Faced Better Than Sex Mascara. This best-selling mascara thickens, lengthens, and curls your lashes after just one coat.
- Pixi Large Lash Mascara. The buildable, smudge-proof, and water-resistant formula is perfect for long days and nights.
- Smashbox Full Exposure Waterproof Mascara. This long-wear mascara lasts 10 hours and is infused with olive oil for hydration and easy application.
- Chantecaille Faux Cils Longest Lash Mascara. This luxurious mascara is made with peptides to enhance lash length, thickness, and fullness.
- RMS Beauty Straight Up Volumizing Peptide Mascara. This clean, smudge-free mascara lasts 12 hours while adding noticeable volume after a single coat.
- ITEM Beauty Boost Juice Lash Primer and Color Mascara. Make a statement and enhance your eye color with ITEM Beauty’s lilac and blue mascara set.
What products go with mascara?
While mascara can be used alone, it’s often paired with other eye makeup for a more dramatic, well-rounded look. Here are two staple products commonly used with mascara:
- Eyeliner is used to define eye shape. This product comes in pencil, gel, or liquid form and is available in every color you can imagine.
- Eyeshadow is used to create fun designs on your eyelids that accentuate your eye color and shape. While typically presented as a compact powder, this product also comes in cream and liquid for more saturated pigment.
Lovely lashes for life
Choosing the right mascara and using it properly ensures your lashes are healthy, damage-free, and flawless.
To audit the rest of your makeup bag, check out product reviews on Flip. Our community provides beauty tutorials and guidance for choosing products that address your skincare concerns.