Fall in Love With Your Makeup This Valentine’s Day
Every holiday has a theme. Christmas asks us to get out our ugly red and green sweaters, and St. Patrick’s Day allows us to finally use that green lipstick.
Valentine’s Day is one of the easiest holidays to dress up for — red and pink are one of the more likely color palettes in our wardrobe. We can honor this holiday and amp up our festive look with makeup designs bound to nab us a Valentine.
To help you get in the holiday spirit, we’ve outlined our eight favorite Valentine’s Day makeup ideas. Try out a few before the big day to make sure you love your festive look.
8 Valentine’s Day makeup ideas
These simple makeup looks keep the Valentine’s Day aesthetic in mind. Try pairing a couple of these ideas for a bolder look.
- Monochromatic pink makeup. An easy way to create festive makeup is with an overall pink color palette. You can use different shades for your eyeshadow, lipstick, and eyeliner, creating a monochromatic look. Try About Face’s Paint-It Matte Lip Color in Saccharine and their Line Artist Eyeliner in Matte Pink.
- Hot pink lipstick. Make a statement with a hot pink lip. We love Covergirl’s Exhibitionist Cream Lipstick in Bombshell Pink because it’s infused with shea butter so the color lasts longer. Finish the look with a clear lip gloss for ultra-kissable lips.
- Pink eyeshadow. Nothing says Valentine's Day like a pink eyeshadow look. Create a unique pink smokey eye by using a light pink on the inside corner of your eye, lining your eye and filling in the crease with a deeper shade. essence's my ROSE will go on Eyeshadow Palette in Pink has everything needed to create this look.
- Blushed cheeks and peachy eyes. Blush adds a romantic touch to every makeup look. Use a pinky peach shade on your cheeks and eyelids for an effortless, festive glow. We recommend e.l.f.’s Putty Blush if you have dryer skin. Use RMS Beauty’s Redimension Hydra Powder Blush if you have oily skin.
- Classic red lipstick. A bold red lip is excellent if you’re prepping for this holiday in a hurry. Try Love+Craft+Beauty’s Drusilla Lipstick in Scarlet Red for an attention-grabbing pout.
- Winged eyeliner. A winged cat eye is flirtatious — perfect for getting into the date-night spirit. Try Too Faced’s Better Than Sex Liquid Eyeliner for a sharp, long-lasting wing.
- Glittery lids. There’s something about sparkle — adding a little glitz to a look always makes us feel in the holiday spirit. We love I’M MEME’s Jewel Topping Glitter Duo because you can apply it on your finished Valentine’s Day eye makeup or alone for a glam shimmer.
- Graphic liner. Whatever makeup look you choose to create, amp it up by creating fun, festive designs with graphic eyeliner. Draw small hearts beside your eyes or create a little bow and arrow duo at the height of your cheekbones.
Tips for Valentine’s makeup
Here are a few final tips to ensure you love your festive V-Day look.
- Layer blushes. For an even rosier look, apply a powder blush overtop a liquid product. You’ll get a more dimensional color with stronger pigment, and the makeup will last longer.
- Experiment with different colors. Sure, pink and red suit the holiday. But you can create a more unique look by adding accent colors such as purple, orange, and blue. A nice, cohesive way of doing this is by lining your lower lid with a colorful eyeliner.
- Have fun. No matter the look you choose to create, have fun with it. Experiment with new products, looks, and colors to find a design you can’t wait to wear on Valentine’s Day.
People also ask
How do I prep my skin for makeup?
Makeup looks best on healthy, well-prepared skin. Here’s a simple way to get your skin ready for a heavier holiday look.
- Remove excess makeup with micellar water or makeup remover.
- Cleanse your skin with a gentle face wash, patting your face dry afterward.
- Massage in your moisturizer to enhance blood circulation and rehydrate your skin.
- Apply a makeup primer so your look lasts all day.
How do I create winged eyeliner?
Follow this tutorial and, with a bit of practice, you’ll be a cat eye aficionado.
- Starting mid-eyelid, draw a line toward the outer corner of your eye, angling up. Move slightly past your eye to create the top of the wing.
- Starting at the tip of this line, draw a line to the outside corner of your eye. You’ve created a small triangle at the side of your eye that points slightly upward.
- Fill the wing in completely.
- Line the top and bottom lid lines for a darker, bolder look.
- Use a Q-tip with makeup remover to remove any excess product.
If you don’t have time to create the wing yourself, try KAJA’s Wink Stamp Eyeliner for a two-second cat eye.
How do I take Valentine’s makeup from day to night?
- Apply a darker lip. Putting on lipstick is the quickest way to turn muted makeup into a date-ready look.
- Refresh your highlighter. Apply a few swipes of highlighter and you’ll look fresh and glowing.
- Touch up your concealer and foundation. Cover dark circles and tired skin from your long workday with foundation and a brightening concealer.
- Add mascara. Brush on a couple coats of your favorite mascara and your date won’t know you came straight from the office.
Get more makeup inspo
Whether you’re spending it eating chocolate with your friends or drinking wine with your partner, you’re officially ready to rock the V-Day makeup assignment. Now to choose what to wear…
To find makeup inspiration for your other favorite holidays, check out beauty tutorials on Flip. Our community constantly shares reviews, beauty hacks, and how-tos so you can feel prepared and excited about your next makeup creation. Where can you find Flip Shop reviews? App Store is the place!